Most of the ideas below are simple to achieve but do require some preparation. Some directly support the global strike (1-5), others are more museum-y (6-10). Pick what suits you and your organization.
- Welcome strikers in your museum.
Your toilets, tap water, and comfortable seating are assets to strikers.
- Hold a children’s assembly about a sustainable future.
That way, parents are free to march.
- Provide space for teach-ins, sign making, workshops.
Offer your workshop spaces and other rooms in advance to organizers.
- Go on #ArtStrike, put an object on strike.
Here are a toolkit and some more info.
- Archive and create a display of the strike.
Document this all-important movement for posterity, together with the strikers.
- Tell the story of young activists from other times and places.
Create a display showing how movements work and create change.
- Sell only local, plant-based food in your restaurant.
One day is feasible. And then another. And another.
- Make ONE part of your museum’s operations sustainable.
The utility bill, transport, packaging… anything. If you change one thing every time there is a strike, soon you’ll be green as grass!
- Promote the use of public transport to get to your museum.
Give detailed directions and don’t fail to mention the convenience.
- Stop accepting money from fossil fuel companies.
Due diligence on all your funders: no artwashing, no greenwashing.