In your language: 🇧🇦 Bosanski (Bosnian), 🇨🇳 中文 (Chinese simplified), 🇨🇳 中文 (Chinese traditional), 🇦🇹 Deutsch (Austria), 🇩🇪 Deutsch (Germany), 🇪🇪 Eesti keel (Estonian), 🇬🇷 ελληνικά (Greek), 🇪🇸 Español (Spanish), 🇫🇷 Français (French), 🇮🇸 Íslensku (Icelandic), 🇮🇹 Italiano (Italian), 🇯🇵 日本語 (Japanese), 🇬🇪 ქართული (Georgian), 🇱🇹 Lietuvių kalba (Lithuanian), 🇭🇺 Magyar (Hungarian), 🇳🇴 Norsk (Norwegian), 🇵🇹 Português (Portuguese), 🇷🇴 Română (Romanian), 🇷🇺 русский (Russian), 🇫🇮 Suomi (Finnish)
Most of the ideas below are simple to achieve but do require some preparation. Some directly support the global strike (1-5), others are more museum-y (6-10). Pick what suits you and your organization.
- Welcome strikers in your museum.
Your toilets, tap water, and comfortable seating are assets to strikers.
- Hold a children’s assembly about a sustainable future.
That way, parents are free to march.
- Provide space for teach-ins, sign making, workshops.
Offer your workshop spaces and other rooms in advance to organizers.
- Go on #ArtStrike, put an object on strike.
Here are a toolkit and some more info.
- Archive and create a display of the strike.
Document this all-important movement for posterity, together with the strikers.
- Tell the story of young activists from other times and places.
Create a display showing how movements work and create change.
- Sell only local, plant-based food in your restaurant.
One day is feasible. And then another. And another.
- Make ONE part of your museum’s operations sustainable.
The utility bill, transport, packaging… anything. If you change one thing every time there is a strike, soon you’ll be green as grass!
- Promote the use of public transport to get to your museum.
Give detailed directions and don’t fail to mention the convenience.
- Stop accepting money from fossil fuel companies.
Due diligence on all your funders: no artwashing, no greenwashing.
We encourage all museum professionals to join the strike, and all managers and leaders lend their support. Take photos of your actions and share them with the #MuseumsForFuture hashtag or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.