In your language: 🇧🇦 Bosanski (Bosnian), 🇨🇳 中文 (Chinese simplified), 🇨🇳 中文 (Chinese traditional), 🇦🇹 Deutsch (Austria), 🇩🇪 Deutsch (Germany), 🇪🇪 Eesti keel (Estonian), 🇬🇷 ελληνικά (Greek), 🇪🇸 Español (Spanish), 🇫🇷 Français (French), 🇮🇸 Íslensku (Icelandic), 🇮🇹 Italiano (Italian), 🇯🇵 日本語 (Japanese), 🇬🇪 ქართული (Georgian), 🇱🇹 Lietuvių kalba (Lithuanian), 🇭🇺 Magyar (Hungarian), 🇳🇴 Norsk (Norwegian), 🇵🇹 Português (Portuguese), 🇷🇴 Română (Romanian), 🇷🇺 русский (Russian), 🇫🇮 Suomi (Finnish)
Most of the ideas below are simple to achieve but do require some preparation. Some directly support the global strike (1-5), others are more museum-y (6-10). Pick what suits you and your organization.
- Welcome strikers in your museum.
Your toilets, tap water, and comfortable seating are assets to strikers.
- Hold a children’s assembly about a sustainable future.
That way, parents are free to march.
- Provide space for teach-ins, sign making, workshops.
Offer your workshop spaces and other rooms in advance to organizers.
- Go on #ArtStrike, put an object on strike.
Here are a toolkit and some more info.
- Archive and create a display of the strike.
Document this all-important movement for posterity, together with the strikers.
- Tell the story of young activists from other times and places.
Create a display showing how movements work and create change.
- Sell only local, plant-based food in your restaurant.
One day is feasible. And then another. And another.
- Make ONE part of your museum’s operations sustainable.
The utility bill, transport, packaging… anything. If you change one thing every time there is a strike, soon you’ll be green as grass!
- Promote the use of public transport to get to your museum.
Give detailed directions and don’t fail to mention the convenience.
- Stop accepting money from fossil fuel companies.
Due diligence on all your funders: no artwashing, no greenwashing.
We encourage all museum professionals to join the strike, and all managers and leaders lend their support. Take photos of your actions and share them with the #MuseumsForFuture hashtag or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finally, sign up for our newsletter to receive new action ideas for future strikes and sign up with Culture Declares to show your commitment. If you’ve already undertaken actions as part of exhibitions, training, events, education, etc., please complete this survey. Thanks!